Thursday, September 4, 2014

In Landed An AEROplane

   Aeropostale was the it store in middle school; if you or your friends weren't rocking an aqua blue graphic tee that had 'Aeropostale' written across it in big, bold letters than you weren't popular. Bell bottomed jeans with rips at the end, just where my brand new white Etnies tore them, and star patterned backpacks plagued my adolescence. Along with Hollister, American Eagle, and Abercrombie & Fitch -- this was the generation of labels, and these stores encouraged it. Fast forward 5 years and I'm working for one of them. Seventeen, fresh out of my junior year of high school, and completely withdrawn from life....I needed something to keep me busy and preoccupied from my mind. My friend had gotten hired at our mall's Aeropostale in Spring that year and ended up helping me out that Summer when Aero was doing their "Back-To-School" seasonal hiring. "Aeropostale is hiring, come in fast!" I read on Twitter one day in early June and quickly ran to my mom. "MOM!!!! AERO IS HIRING....Can I apply?!?" to my surprise, she said yes and I then quickly prepared myself to visit the store. Side note: I no longer wore Aeropostale. My graphic tees, jeans, and skater shoe days were long gone. I was, without a doubt the opposite of everything Aero stood by (fashion-wise). So, why did I want to work there? It just seemed right. Despite, my obvious Rachel Berry (Glee), and Cher from Clueless attire, I made it a point to dress according to Aero's style. Jeans, a cute but casual fashion top, and some basic flats was my application outfit. Nervous but super determined to get the job, I march in, greet the nearest associate and introduce myself. She automatically lights up and hands me an application. I fill it out, mess up, ask for another one, fill that one out, turn it in and moments later... I am being introduced to the store manager for an interview date. "Whoa... is getting a job always this easy?!" I think to myself. And it was that easy because I would then be hired two weeks later. I was ecstatic! I had my most favorite teacher write me a letter of recommendation in such short notice, and I was set! My first, official working day was on June 25, 2011 and I just quietly celebrated my 3rd year AEROversary.
   It's hard to imagine how quickly time has gone by. My first year with Aero was probably the trickiest and most challenging. Not only was my style being altered completely, but I didn't feel exactly appreciated or acknowledged. I partly blamed myself because I had a hard time adapting to certain responsibilities and people were clique-y and I felt so out of place. The only individual keeping me grounded was my assistant manager at the time; she probably was my biggest influence there and truly pushed me to be better. Time moved along, and I was put into Merchandise Flow, which meant I was now working in the stockroom, processing shipment, and organizing the arrangement and flow of units. I felt super cool when my manager had asked me if I wanted that position, so I gladly took it. Boy, I had no idea what I was in for. Merch Flow people truly are like the glue of a retail store. There wasn't a shift I didn't walk out drenched in sweat. But it was so rewarding knowing I was responsible for the stockroom and how it looked. 
   There were days I nearly put in my two-weeks notice and simply called it a day, but intuition told me not to. Intuition told me to wait it out. I was always on this roller-coaster of emotions because in my heart, I knew retail wasn't for me. I was supposed to be in Los Angeles living out my dreams. Around some time after graduation, Aero received a new store manager. Things started looking up. She made it a point to genuinely talk to me about where I stood and how I felt and what I thought I needed to work on. I felt completely listened to and it was in those moments, my convictions turned around. I was going to make the most of my experience and grow in every single process. I was honestly falling in love with Aeropostale and my team and I for once felt so good about what I was doing and who I was working with. And then, an opportunity to move to LA with two of my best friends arose and that was it; I set my mind to that and made it happen. I would transfer to an Aero in Culver City and live out my dreams with two girls who were basically my sisters and it would be beautiful. At least, that's what I had foreseen. Unfortunately, life is most certainly not always rainbows. I learned the hard way. I spent three months in Los Angeles before I moved back home. And let me tell you, that decision still haunts me. But it was necessary and ultimately, I am so glad I did come back home. I saved myself. God has His plans and at the end of the day, His plans go. 
   My time at the Aero in Culver City was different.. I was basically starting all over, so it was HARD for me to adapt, especially since change makes me cringe. When I found out my manager from Victorville was coming to the very same Aero I was now working at, oh my jeebus.... I screamed and danced with joy: surely, God was thinking of me. I was just soooo happy. I thought, this THIS will get me through these weird, first few months of being the "new girl". And it did, her being there with me made my time more relaxed and familiar. I know she liked having me there with her because she too, was the "new girl". And then the hardest day of all, I had woke up early one Saturday, my roomies were gone and I decided to ride a bike to Marina Del Rey. The trip was two hours long, but the decision I was about to make came with consequences that lasted much longer. I needed clarity and being alone around the ocean gave me just that. Before stopping home, on my way back, I rode the bike to work.... makeup less, nerves clearly etched on my skin, ready to tell my manager that I was going back home in five days. I couldn't even speak one word without falling apart with tears.. it was so hard to have to look her in the eye, and basically say "oh hey, I'm going home in five days..so take me off of the schedule after all the help you've given me" those weren't my words, but they might as well should have been. I felt so awful. She had been so great to me, and I was just leaving her. But my time in Los Angeles was toxic and though I discovered so much about myself and about life, I knew if I didn't go back home, I'd end up in a very bad place......

   Luckily, Regina George (my manager now whose name is not actually Regina George but that's what I call her because she's literally Regina George), who had been promoted as Store Manager graciously took me back in and did more for me than I can ever repay her for. Victorville almost had a completely new team and I had to once again establish myself. But this time, it was different.... good different....this had been my home store all along, but this time, it felt like home. Like store #667 had a new air about it, and oh it was inviting! The new faces turned my light back on. Little by little, I was bonding with my coworkers in ways I had never bonded with them before and something magical began to manifest. I was finally where I needed to be. The people I was working with uplifted my spirits and helped me out of my dark cloud. I wasn't in a good state, emotionally with my return home... but a turn of events changed that. I had to accept and understand why God wanted me back here, away from what I thought I needed and surely I did understand. His plans became evident, and I owe Aero and my team for helping me unravel them. For some reason, the desert wasn't done with me, isn't done with me...not quite yet.
   One day, I believe it was back in February of this year I asked Regina George, "how possible is it for me to become Sales Lead?" she gave me that side, quizzical smile and seemed excited... and she didn't even have to say anything. That smile told me it was very possible. Shortly after, I began working on my career development portfolio and though a position wasn't available, I stayed optimistic. My managers would give me small tips here and there, and would test my knowledge about certain situations. I was super encouraged. I was extremely intimidated of this title, but I always knew I was meant to lead and I felt it was time that I challenged myself. Around the end of April, my most favorite sales lead manager put in her two weeks because she was just awesome and scored the perfect job for what she's going to school for. I was seriously heartbroken; the idea of taking her spot didn't even cross my mind.. I was just thinking about how the one girl who I had been with at this Aero all three years was now moving on, and I couldn't even wrap my head around it. A true gem, that girl, and honestly, I owe so much of my dedication for Aero because of her! I always worked towards mirroring her actions because she was just so good at what she did. I still can't live up to her legacy (it's true Kels......you were just one of a kind!!! haha). But news was up in the air, the sales lead position was open, and my manager and district manager offered me it. I was fueled with joy and nerves and thrill and this was happening!!! The process and training shifts lasted two weeks, and just a few days before my 20th birthday, I was officially part of the management team. Oh, I couldn't believe it! Once Regina George brought me out my lanyard with my own set of keys and put it around my neck, memories of seventeen year old me popped up. Was I actually a sales lead? I sometimes still look back in awe. Like whoa....after all this time, after all the roller coasters and set of emotions... I am here, look at me.
  I started out not very fond of the company, found myself torn, and now I find myself unable to see a life without it... at least without it in my early twenties. :-) Like myself, Aero evolved and began to embrace change and the new generation. My style is no longer being compromised; I can dress like Cher from Clueless or Rachel Berry from Glee and have it be totally okay because that's what Aero stands for now: individuality. I am so happy I got to witness and be a part of their biggest milestone. I find myself being passionate and excited for its product. Though, my heart continues to beat and bleed for acting... who is to say, I can't one day incorporate my very own ideas up with Aero's corporate office? I think, I can accomplish pretty much anything I set my mind to, no? I may not be in Los Angeles RIGHT NOW..... but I will be....indefinitely next time.... writing, managing, interning, acting, and learning and growing in the process. I know I was made for so much more, and being a part of Aero for this long has shown me just that. As long as I remain patient, and endure those troublesome battles, my fight won't seem so treacherous. So, here's to many more moments with Aero, and life and my passions. I'm not stopping here. This is just the beginning...