Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Once Upon A Pacific Northwest Adventure: Day 1

   Permanently paralyzed by fear, I have lived a life in my comfort zone: chasms of familiarity were home. For so long, I "played it safe" and colored inside the lines. I was never a person to take extreme risks, or make adventure happen....true adventure. I always admired those people though, the ones who would grab life, chase waterfalls, climb rocks, dance under a distant sun, and feel the breeze of another air. They truly taste life, I thought. How could I be more in tune with my surroundings? In what ways can I feel more alive?
   Last year, my spiritual journey sprouted ideas, epiphanies, and new passions. I was being made brand new, dying to my old self and being awoken. Oh, I can't fully describe with words what this feels like--but it's terrifying and beautiful all at once. God was working in my heart, my mind, my body. My fears of the world were being wiped away, and I was inspired to see His wonder elsewhere. Which is when travelling to Canada became a vivid daydream. I had been following a few photographers/explorers who live in British Columbia, on Instagram and was swept in awe with each new post. "Okay, this place isn't too far from me, maybe I can save enough money to go in February." a simple thought that breath to life after tons of tiresome work hours, less Starbucks runs, and praying to God that He may send me on my way. As it turns out, I later met a girl named Ashley on Instagram who lives in Vancouver and has mutual interests, so I began to ask her for advice and tips. We began to talk everyday and became good friends. She had been preparing for a four month long trip through Europe that wouldn't end until early May. I was like, "If I go in Feb, I won't meet you and I'll be a lost cause around BC by myself." So, we both thought it best if I waited and went in May, considering none of my friends back home were able to make this trip with me either. Ashley graciously invited me to stay with her so I wouldn't have to spend money on hotels--and from that point, I gathered all that was necessary and made the trip happen. I would spend a week in Vancouver, Canada simply exploring, adventuring, and breathing a new air. 
  Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.  - John Muir 
  May 10th arrived faster than ever, and I was now ready to fly out of LAX. I hadn't been on a plane since I was 4, and never alone... so, this was new territory (obviously). I was anxious and frazzled and overcome with thrill. Luckily for me, I sat next to a really nice girl a few years younger than me and was distracted from momentary turbulence. I landed in Vancouver at 11pm. Having no prior knowledge of 'Customs', a point where travelers are asked a series of questions by officials ensuing foreigners aren't visiting their country for bad purpose-- I became so so so overwhelmed and nearly made myself believe I was in Canada for all the wrong reasons// like suddenly, I had been hiding a body in my suitcase or something ridiculous. haha. But once I got through that, Ashley awaited me and I was at last with comfort. This was our first, official meet, yet it didn't feel out-of-place or new; we were like best friends who hadn't seen each other in months. It was super nice.  I would say walking outside and smelling Canada for the first time was HUGE for me; I squealed and told Ashley, "It smells so fresh and good here!!", she turned to me and replied, "...and this is one of the worst smelling parts in Van." hahaha. we laughed it off. Though, it honestly did smell great. Sorry, I'm from a smog-filled land.
   The next day, we woke up at 5am for a day filled with different sights, hikes, and never-ending adventures. It. was. bonkers. With only 2 hours of sleep on my shoulder-- you can imagine my fatigue... nonetheless, I was enraptured with beauty. Canada is breathtaking, I mean undeniably breathtaking. Ashley and I met up with some of our other Instagram friends who are photographers and just had a 14 hour day with them kicking butt. Our first stop was Porteau Cove, a beautiful waterfront reflecting the gloomy sky and its foggy air.



  
this is Dave, He recently moved from Perth Australia to Vancover--just because. for change. for a new air. He bought a one way ticket and I still am boggled by it. What an exciting transition! Best of wishes to you, Dave. it takes so much courage to just be able to leave your home and all that's familiar..
 

 BC would be the perfect place to start anew. I nearly want to pack all my things and get that one-way ticket myself.
                                                                     
   Our pack later moved along to Shannon Falls, an easy 5 minute hike to a big, beautiful waterfall. My first waterfall sight in Canada... oh it was gorgeous. Yosemite has nothing on this place. haha. I was so enamored. I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE, YOU GUYS!!!!










this area was a spot of pure green, water goodness. oh my gosh probably one of my favorite scenes from the trip because of the random patches of flowers. It was windy and cold and I was not in the right clothes--but sitting on the grass, letting the majesty of God's creation engulf my presence: the cold didn't shake me.
in awe and wonder I was
what beauty
what grace
to be so wrapped in His glory
I didn't want to let go
I forever hold on to His truth
the sight of peace
the feel of love
serenity at its finest





   Ashley wanted to show me as much as possible, so on we moved to Brandwine Falls--another unfathomable location. The overview of the waterfall was easy to get to go; but since we are explorers we didn't settle with an overview// we wanted to get right down to the fall, and feel its mist. The trail down was obviously forbidden for there was no actual trail. Signs that read "restricted area! stay out of water! dangerous!" did not mean anything to us. Another fear I overcame. I know this sounds bad bad bad, like how could I put myself in this situation... but ohhhh the view...... being so close to the fall..... woooooooooooooow

okay, so getting down we had to climb down rocks, run through a mossy forest (looked straight out of a fairytale) and then go down a rope. Yes, that's right, a rope. See, people have done this before and they were courteous and left a rope for us folk who can't exactly just jump down. going down that rope took serious effort, mental and physical effort. I scraped my elbow by taking one wrong step down, but I made it and I felt victorious. We were then lead to the fall.
the crash of water bellowed, blowing mist to our sweaty faces: it.was.so.intoxicating.


above is Sal, a super well-known Instagrammer living in BC. His eye is uncanny and truly captures the essence of a moment; I had a blast getting to hang out with him and see how he takes photos.




   After Brandywine, we drove to our final destination: Joffre Lakes. The hike of hikes. The hike that broke me. How do I even conjure up the words to describe my experience up in Joffre? Okay, we'll start with: AH. There's three lakes: lower lake, middle lake, and upper lake. We did all three, of course. Though, I wanted to stop just before getting to the middle lake. The elevation was insane. I mean, we were hiking up to a glacier after all. The Californian in me wasn't ready for this Canadian escapade. Oh, I felt like a sore weenie beside Ashley, Sal, Dave, and Issac. But they were so encouraging and helped me move forward. Upper lake was indescribable. There are no words. NONE. YOU HAD TO BE THERE. I didn't have my phone or camera on me for a solid 20minutes for the pack had momentarily split due to detouring and what not--but not having the pressures of wanting to check my phone or take photos every two seconds was for best. This was a sight, a moment I needed to witness alone and without electronics. I sat on a rock, resting my scuffed hiking boots on the waterbed..... the air was crisp, cold, and so fresh. 






everything about Joffre lakes was magical, aside the whole feeling like I was going to die part. We refilled our bottles with the glacier water and that was probably a moment that will live with me forever. I mean, I drank water straight from a waterfall.... and it didn't kill me or poison me. How many people can say that?!  

the pictures below are from middle lake, which was also super super beautiful. We were all hoping to swim in it, but found it half frozen.... 



this is where we filled our bottles. The falls right before upper lake. Issac is in the green, another really super talented photographer. Super funny guy. 


   It was a 17 hour day for all of us, so once we wrapped it up, and got back to the parking lot; we were pretty dunzo.... at least Ashley and I were. haha. The guys could have probably gone for more. I just can't get over how much I did that day...how much I saw... these pictures don't serve it justice, not even by a little. Ash and I had a three hour drive back home and it was again so picturesque--but how can I expect less of Canada? 

this was the sunset that day

My first official day surpassed all expectation. I conquered more things than a person will conquer in a lifetime. I am still speechless and this was just Monday. Wait until I blog about the next days.... 

- Brizzy